Monday 7 October 2019

Another Random Weekend of Running



Go VOOM!!!
Having finished my stint working in Wick, I was due to drive south for a week in Stranraer via home, but fate had another slightly random weekend in store for me. Voom nutrition asked me if I would like to represent them in one of the multitude of races occurring that weekend in Kinlochleven/Glencoe, but when I looked at the event timetable, it appeared that the only one I could possibly squeeze in was the vertical K. This is a "running" race where you climb over 1000m whilst covering less than 5k in distance, and something which I had never even considered attempting in the past. Still, they said they didn't expect me to be competitive so I agreed as it sounded like it could be a fun thing to try......and a great excuse to catch up with various friends who would be racing, working and generally organising the whole weekend. In hindsight, staying with a friend and catching up over 2 bottles of red wine the night before might have been the most sensible pre-run prep!

Scotland at its most beautiful!
The drive down to Fort William along Loch Ness was stunning (I was giving a lift to a Swiss girl so chose the scenic route) as it was a rare, still, sunny, beautiful warm Scottish autumn day. I dropped the girl in Fort William and picked up Tim, another friend who'd come up on the overnight sleeper. He was also doing the VK (as well as staying for the rest of the weekend) so we got some food, drove down to Kinlochleven, registered and braced ourselves for the run. Tim had done it in a previous year, so pointed out the peak we were going to climb, and then set off slightly ahead of me. 

The Finish of the VK
seen from the Start
Runners are spaced out in terms of start times, with the faster runners coming later, but I wanted to start relatively early so that I would have time to catch my breath, enjoy the views and then be able to cheer on the elites running up as I was heading back down again (that and the fact that I knew I wouldn't be very fast heading up.....when I say it was a "warm" day, it was roasting.....and I'd just had 2 weeks of solid chilly rain in Wick).

Looking back to the Start from
just below the Finish ridge
This meant that although there was a fast girl who started ahead of me, and I never saw again, nobody overtook me on course..... At first I thought that I'd never catch anyone either as the trail just wound up and up ahead of me, getting steeper and steeper all the time. I tried to run as long as I could but it was exhausting. I met a couple of friends on their way back down, and then suddenly the field seemed to concertina in ahead of me. Once you caught one person, you caught another four or so. Most were walking/climbing, and though I wished I could have run it, the gradient had me powerwalking too. There were many false summits and though those descending were mainly encouraging, some of them were not prepared to give you any priority over them as you tried to scramble up rocky sections whilst they descended them. 
On the "summit ridge"

With Tim at the summit
Even when you reached the summit "ridge", the trail continued to climb, but eventually I saw the last rocks guarding the summit pole and Tim was there cheering me on. What a relief to have made it......but what amazing views! I don't think I've ever seen it so clear in that part of the world, and so although it was "rather warm", I definitely chose the right day for my VK debut (and possibly only VK). After a few pictures and a snack, we started to descend but it probably took us longer than going up as we chatted all the way, cheered on some of the others that we knew as they climbed up, and I also ended up making a makeshift sling for a lady who taken a wee tumble but was adamant that she was going to finish (I did check to make sure her arm seemed sprained rather than broken first).

After food, drink and a catch up with friends I carried on my journey south, desperately wanting a night at home in Dumfries (no matter how late) to do laundry etc before heading over to Stranraer.

It was going to be a double "Medal Monday"
I'd decided that I wanted to go for a relatively long run (for me) on the Sunday before heading off, but I spotted that my former club were holding the Dumfries half marathon on part of my usual running route that day. I figured that it would be rather rude to go for a run in the opposite direction while the race was on, and that I should support the club so I entered (last minute as ever). Unfortunately this meant that I felt that I was committed to taking part, even though the weather had changed (yet again) with Sunday dawning rather cooler and very wet.

A lonely wet run on the way out
It was fun to catch up with a couple of old clubmates before the run, and we chatted merrily whilst warming up/getting wet. I quite like the Dumfries HM course as it's designed for strength rather than speed......and even though most people know this, they still set off hell for leather, leaving me trailing along behind. I actually quite like this, because as long as I don't panic, then it becomes a bit of a game for me......working out how long it will take me to catch runners that I've known and run against for years. 

This race went true to form......as I reeled in my old cronies in the first few miles and then ended up splashing down the road alone with several other men way off ahead in the distance. There is a long gradual drag uphill on a minor road, which probably plays to my strengths as I caught another couple of guys there. The weirdest thing about the race was the fact that on this section we had huge ankle deep puddles stretching across the road, made worse by having mud mixed from tractors and ploughs. I never thought I'd end up much filthier after running a road HM in the Lowlands than a VK in the Highlands!

In the finishing straight
The HM spoils :-)
I successfully negotiated the section I always dread.....a steep, slightly rough (slippy in the wet) descent to the end of the minor road......and high fived the daughter of a former colleague who was marshalling and cheering with her mum. By then, I knew I was more than halfway round, and I just had to keep my legs turning over to get back home. Another few sharp hills and long drags meant that although I was tired and so couldn't increase my pace, I gradually worked my way further up the field. 

I finished in an almost identical time to the Caithness HM, further down the overall field, but still over 9 mins in front of the next lady.....not a bad weekend of running to unwind from work!

No comments:

Post a Comment